Prom season happened last month. Nervously excited teenagers with their parents credit cards poured in and out of Vain like mini-brides, with high expectations and a strong sense of sweet, innocent entitlement.
I love a good up-do. When there is inspiration like ‘Mad Men but modern’ I can get creative. I like working with some agreed-upon visual reference, like a photo or an era or a concept. It is really fun to me when a hairstyle for someone’s special day is collaborative between the 2 of us, but without neurosis. It is a shared moment in creative vision between strangers that excites me. This hairstyle was like that between Zola and I. She wanted big and smooth but rough around the edges, polished but perfectly mussed modern day Mad Men hair. This is what she got.
This hairstyle requires long, medium to thick hair and a hair donut bun form like the
Chignon Brown Medium Hair Donut.
1. Start by making a high, tight ponytail on top of the head. Smooth all the hair up towards the pony with a boar bristle brush after securing to make it extra smooth. Put the donut around the base of the ponytail.
2. Spray throughout the ponytail with texture spray. Work your way through the ponytail, teasing it gently section by section to add some bulk and texture. Split the ponytail into 2 sections and braid them all the way to the ends. Secure with clear elastics. Now pull the sides of the braid apart a bit, starting at the ends and working your way up to bulk it up.
3. Start wrapping one of the braids around the bun form. Pin it in at the ends.
4. Wrap the other braid around as well, do your best to cover up all parts of the bun form to hide it. Pin the ends of the braids in discreetly.
5. Add more pins wherever you need to to cover the bun form and create a nice round bun. You can stab your pins directly into the bun form to get a good secure grip.
6. Do a final once-over, making sure the bun is a nice even round shape. Add a cute headband to give it a 1960’s finish.
Now pair this with a cocktail dress and you are totally ready for Mad Men fabulousness.
Want more Mad Men hair inspiration? click here!