There is something so cool looking about shiny coil-y twists of hair. They makes me think of the 90’s and Gwen Stefani. I had to bring back this uber-90’s hairstyle delight to share for this weeks DIY hair Friday.
To master this hairdo, you must first master the tiny twisty coiled bun. This is basically a small section of hair twisted very tightly and allowed to coil on it’s own accord, instead of wrapping it around itself into a bun. When you twist the section enough times, it will automatically bunch up into a super wiggly cool mess of twisty bun-ness. Then, you pin the end into the base to secure it. Practice a couple of times.
Got it down? Now let’s work it into a perfectly, totally 90’s winter-y solstice bun, and top it off with one of Nikki Jacoby’s gorgeous hair combs;)
Okay. One more minute of your time before we get started on the hairstyle of the week…….Have you seen these gorgeous combs yet, now available in the HTHG boutique? They are made by hand from gorgeous golden brass and will secure a lifetimes worth of beautiful and easy hairstyling. They make a fabulous holiday gift.
Here is a little photo collage of her designs and HTHG hairstyles. Tutorials can be found here.
The Totally 90’s winter bun can totally be done on pretty short to very long hair. For this hairstyle, prep your hair with something grippy. Honey spray if your hair is very thick, Salt spray for finer hair.
Totally 90’s Winter Bun!
2. Allow the twist to coil into a little bun. Pin it into place.
3. Take a small section of hair from one side of your first bun. Twist it into a coiled bun.
4. Pin this one into place next to the first bun. Repeat on 3-4 more sections of hair.
5. Coil your last section and pin it into place.
6. You should have one bit mass of coiled buns on the back of your head. Add extra bobbies if needed. Garnish with a beautiful brooch or hair comb to finish the look.
Happy Holidays! Love, HTHG and NJ