My first experience with them was in the back of the school bus in the 6th grade. I had just started a new school, and I was terrified and shy. One of the older girls on the bus was named Alateena and she was big and black and beautilful and always had amazing hair that I marveled at. She didn’t appear to know or care that I existed.
One day, to my dismay, Alateena yelled out “Hey white girl! Let me do your hair!” and I scanned the scene to see who she was talking to. I realized she was talking to me. I felt like a million bucks.
So when the bus driver wasn’t looking, I slid into the seat next to her. She pulled out a comb and a giant tub of Blue Magic Hair Dress and spit-curled the shit out of my hair. This began our morning bus ride hair tradition, which lasted several months, until she got bored of me. I will never forget her long nails, the sticky-stiff feeling of those little flat curls stuck to my head, and the smell of that hair grease.
When I saw that spit curls/kiss curls had made their debut on the runways of Givenchy Fall/Winter for 2015, I knew it was time to help usher in their comeback.
Instead of Blue Magic, I opted for a natural alternative, and I tried doing spit curls with straight up Organic Aloe Vera Gel, and had perfect results.
It is particularly important to use a gel that won’t irritate your skin or clog pores, because you will be applying it directly to your skin when you stick your spit curls/kiss curls to your face. This is another reason why the Aloe Vera gel is a fantastic alternative. If your hair is very course or curly and you need a stronger gel, try making a Flax Seed Hair Gel, following this recipe.
How to do Spit Curls/ Kiss Curls
Get your gel and a fine toothed comb. If you can find a disposable mascara wand, they are nice to work with too…….but not a necessity.
Either on yourself or your model, section out small bits of hair around your hairline, where you want your curls to be. If you are someone with alot of baby hairs around your hairline, consider yourself lucky……These curls are a PERFECT way to style and control baby hairs.
Now before we begin, the trick to good spit curls is to find the perfect balance of slick and sticky in your hair to be able to work with these curls. If you are having trouble guiding the curls or sticking them against your face, add more gel. If they are too sticky and keep pulling, add more water.
1. Spray down your baby edge hairs so that they are VERY dripping wet. Get a nice finger-scoop of gel and apply it directly into your roots. Work it down your wet hair bits, all the way to the ends. Now the fine teeth of your comb, or your wand, comb the hairs against your face to stick them down and to remove any tangles that could stop you up.
2. Making sure your hair is stuck to your head at the roots, use your comb or wand to bring all the hairs sharply in one direction, stuck against your head. This is wave #1.
3. Use a finger to help secure the curl against the head at the base, while using a finger from the other hand to pull wave #2 into place, against the head.
4. While holding #2 in place with a finger, use your wand or comb to move wave #3 into place against the head.
5. Use your fingers to make sure that #3 is securely stuck to the head. Guide your waves around the brow/ear/ or cheekbone, depending on what area of the face you are working on. You get to put them wherever you want them.
5. Continue working in this way, back and forth making waves down the length of the hair. When you get to the ends, use your finger tips to guide them into a nice little curl. This takes patience and a soft touch, but I KNOW you can do it:)
7. Start your next curl, wherever you want it.
8. Add as many curls as you want, spraying the hair more with water as needed to keep it slick and workable. Curl your ends, then let your curls dry into place. They should stay all day, as long as you don’t mess with them.
May we suggest finishing off a beehive, finger waves, or any other fancy hairstyle where your baby hairs or hairline is exposed with some spit curls/kiss curls? They look SO CUTE in that little corner right in front of your ears, especially if you are one of those people who feels too exposed or stark with your hair all pulled back. It adds total detail and cute vintage femininity to ANY hairstyle.
Add them to a set of Cornrows for a modern/classy hip hop vibe.
Or, give your dude some and make him feel extra beautiful.