- I detest having to drive.
- I live in a bike friendly neighborhood.
- My kids like it.
- I can sweat and run errands at the same time.
- It doesn’t cost anything.
At least once a day, I strap my kids into the bike trailer with snacks and jump on my bike and take off to run an errand (sometimes I make up “errands” to have an excuse to ride my bike.) But really, who needs and excuse. We should all ride bikes more often for fun.
The other day, I took a lovely ShamPHree shower while my kids were napping. When they woke up, It seemed the perfect time for a bike ride. The only problem was, my hair was clean and wet and I didn’t know quite what to do with it so it dried pretty under a helmet (I promise you I have bigger fish to fry than this. But at the moment, I needed a solution.)
Hence, “bike around town buns” were born. The perfect hair solution for lady cyclists who want to not fuss with their hair while they are on a ride, and take off their helmets to a hairstyle that looks nice pinned up or taken down. BAM. Killed 3 birds with one stone.
Bike around town buns are several low twisted, wrapped, and pinned low buns. They look nice as is. They fit perfectly, resting under the helmet. And, when you uncoil them, you have nice pretty waves to last you days.
1. Comb your damp hair nice and smooth.
2. Make a parting on one side from the top of the head to behind the ear.
3. Twist the section from the base to the ends.
4. Loosely wrap the section into a bun behind the ear. Pin it to the head to secure it.
5. Make another parting down the back of the center of the head. Take that section and repeat steps 3 and 4 with it.
6. Make another parting to behind the other ear. Twist and pin that section.
7. Twist and pin the last side section. Put on your helmet, and hit the street.
While you are out there, see what you see. Be open to surprises. Kurt Vonnegut said in The Cat’s Cradle
“Unexpected travel suggestions are dancing lessons from God.” Use that as your biking mantra for the day.
Here are some things you might see riding around the PNW ( Pacific Northwest, PacNorDub) on an August day.
2 snails humping. Mount Rainier on a clear day. A glorious poppy. A street named Asshole Lane. Fresh ripe berries.
Have a fantastic week.