Hi my short haired babes. I’ve got some styling ideas for you. Okay…..Maybe you aren’t short yet but maybe you are dreaming of A Big Chop. Maybe you are short and uninspired. Maybe you are newly short and clueless. Whoever you are, if you have short hair or are considering it, this post is for you.
First off, there are many ways to have short hair. Check out this post to help you choose which short hair cut is right for you. If you are growing out your super-short hair, check out this post to help you plan your grow-out and in the meantime, use the following short hair styling tricks to help you bear the unbearable grow-out months;)
Today, we are going to talk about whats-er-names cute and versatile Boxie and how to style it. A Boxie is a haircut that is a bit of pixie and a bit of A-line bob. It is the most versatile of the short pixie-ish haircuts. Think of the boxie as the pixie version of a Shlob.
A Boxie ( I literally just came up with that name like 2 minutes ago) Is a pixie cut in the back and sides, with longer bangs in the front. IT is the perfect mix of chic, modern, feminine, flirty, classy and androgynous all at the same time.
You can see by the above photo that it doesn’t take much to really change the look and feel of the cut. Let’s talk about the intricacies of short hair styling. Time to break it open.
*A trick to remember? When styling short hair, instead of using a ‘part’ to divide the hair on the head, use your fingers to ‘direct’ the hair in the direction you want it to go. Kapiche?
6 easy ways to style your short haircut.
1. Hard-Core Bedhead. For days of playing and mischevious fun . To get this look, let your hair get as dirty as possible and literally roll out of bed. If you need to, use a little matte-finish styling paste or Beach hair spray and style it with your fingers. This will give a bit of extra texture and hold to the do’. Rake your hands back through your dirty hair and make it stick up all over in every direction. Don’t over style it. Let it be a natural evolution of mess. Make it last for days by applying a sprinkle of hair powder to the roots and brushing it through. It keeps getting better and better. Take lots of naps and romps with your honey and use it as an excuse for good hair. You can make this look last for days.
2. Soft-Core Bedhead. Follow the directions in step 1. Instead of raking your fingers back through your hair, rake it all forward and sweep it across your forehead. This creates a totally different look within the same feel of a casual, effortless, playful mess. Again this look gets better and better with time.
3. The Soft’n Simple. Time to tame the beast a bit and simplify the look. This is basically step 2 without the dirty. The hair is still directed forward and swept across the forehead but the look is softer and a bit more natural. To get this look, wash your hair and let it dry naturally. Maybe spray a bit of sea spray to give it a tiny bit of lift and texture, but don’t load it on. The key to getting this soft and pretty natural boxie perfection is to make the front sweepy section tame, but keep the back half a little messy. Use a comb to smooth and sweep the hair across the forehead. Use your fingers to push the sides slightly back, but don’t tuck the sides back entirely. Got to leave a little fringe in front of the ol’ ears.
4. The Secret Dirty Little Secret. Like step 3 product wise, but slightly more asymmetrical styling and without the messiness in the back. This gives the look a bit more polish and edge. Keeping in mind that you don’t want to part the hair, direct the heavy side of the hair to one side, swept across the face and keep some hair in front of the ear on that side ( Don’t tuck your hair behind your ear. ) Tuck the other side behind your ear.
5. The Straight-up Sweep Back. This is for full on sexy androgyny. I love this look. It can be hard to wear when you have hangups about your huge forehead, jawline, ears, nose etc because it really lets your face shine. But as I told a client yesterday, everyone has a hair/face/self image hangup. You are not alone. But you are probably the only person who sees it as a disadvantage. The rest of us wish we had your beautiful big nose. So I dare you to rock this look and I predict that once you get used to it, it will liberate you.
To get the look, apply a light gel to your hair when it’s damp. Comb it all back and finish it by raking it back gently with your fingers to break it up a bit. Let it dry like this. Put on your favorite earrings or a neck tie and rock the shit out of it.
6. Lastly, The Polished Hipster. Follow the product directions from step 5, and the styling directions from step 4. Have a dirty little secret, but keep it to yourself. This look is dignified and chic. Do it.
That’s all for today, folks. Go ahead and try these hairstyles out and let me know what you think.